First-degree or minor burns are those that damage only the top layers of the skin. While a medical professional should see more serious burns, minor burns can be easily treated at home with simple natural remedies.
Five Natural Remedies for Minor Burns:
- You can control a burn from spreading along your skin by simply running the burn under cold tap water. A cool compress is also helpful. You should not, however, use ice as it can restrict blood flow.
- A cut, raw potato has soothing properties. Place the potato gently against the burn. Alternatively, you can grate the potato and pat it gently against the burn, like a compress. Keep in place for 15 minutes.
- Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This means honey can be used to disinfect and help heal a burn.
- Black tea can be used to reduce the pain of a burn. Simply allow three tea bags to steep in warm water, and then apply the tea to the burn after allowing it to cool. The cooled tea bags can also be applied directly to the burn.
- Aloe vera gel is another helpful option. It has healing and astringent properties that can help soothe and heal a burn. Even a lotion or cream that includes aloe helps, if you don’t have straight aloe gel.