Many in our society suffer from high cholesterol. It’s a serious problem that can lead to heart disease. While there are many prescription medications available that claim to lower cholesterol, a number of natural remedies can help, especially when combined with changes to diet and exercise habits. Although research is somewhat limited, some natural supplements do seem to have some potential to reduce cholesterol levels.
Five Natural Remedies for Cholesterol:
- Fish with omega-3 fatty acids seems to help lower cholesterol. This includes salmon, tuna, and sardines. Fish oil capsules are readily available from a number of retailers. These can be taken in place of eating fish.
- Some research suggests that garlic has the potential to reduce cholesterol. It can be eaten raw, cooked in other foods, or taken in capsule form.
- Flaxseed is another option for reducing cholesterol. Like some fish oil, flaxseed contains omega-3 fatty acids.
- Hawthorne supplements can also help lower cholesterol levels. Hawthorne is related to the rose and has been used as a treatment for heart-related problems for centuries. It can be consumed as a tea-like infusion or taken in capsule form.
- Red yeast rice is another option for treating cholesterol naturally. It contains a substance nearly identical to lovastatin, a popular prescription drug used to treat high cholesterol.