Depression hurts, but that doesn’t mean you need to suffer. There may be a variety of reasons you’d choose a natural remedy for depression over seeing a doctor. Whether you’re unable to find a professional, allergic to medication, or simply believe in a more homeopathic approach, there’s nothing wrong with seeking a natural solution.
Five Natural Remedies for Depression:
- Adjusting your Lifestyle: Poor diet and lack of exercise are common triggers of emotional depression. Eating less processed, lower calorie foods in combination with regular exercise help promote a healthier, happier lifestyle.
- Meditation: Depression doesn’t always stem from a chemical imbalance — often times, depression can come from inside. By setting aside a little time each day to meditate and reflect inward, you may be able to help address some of the issues you’re holding onto.
- Drink more Coffee and Tea: Research has proven that daily intake of caffeine at low doses can greatly help stabilize your mood. Increasing your consumption of coffee, tea, and chocolate may help elevate you emotionally.
- Natural Light: Depression can stem from a variety of causes, including a disorder known as SAD, or seasonal affective disorder. By displacing yourself from the poorly lit shadows of the indoors and spending more time outside in natural light, you can help fight against negative feelings.
- Journal Your Thoughts: Psychologists around the world agree that bottling up your emotions is unhealthy. Starting a journal and providing yourself a way to vent will aid in understanding your depression.