Diarrhea is a condition in which the bowels become extremely loose and the stool becomes soft or runny. There are many causes for diarrhea including poor diet, illness such as influenza or cholera, certain medications, harmful bacteria such as salmonella or E. coli, or even eating spicy or spoiled foods. When diarrhea occurs, it is often difficult to control. If it progresses, you could become dehydrated. Below are 5 natural remedies that you can try to relieve diarrhea.
Five Natural Remedies for Diarrhea:
- Stay Hydrated: It is important to drink plenty of fluids if you are suffering from diarrhea. If you have diarrhea, you should drink 2 quarts of liquids per day, preferably mainly water. However, if you have a fever in addition to the diarrhea, you should drink 3 quarts of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Eat Some Yogurt: The natural lacto-bacillus bacteria in yogurt will help to heal and soothe your digestive system. It also acts as a binding agent for stool and will reduce the symptoms of diarrhea.
- Get Plenty of Rest: Avoid any strenuous activity when you are suffering from diarrhea. Do not do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise as that can agrivate the condition further.
- Take Medicine: There are many over the counter medications that can help stop diarrhea. Products such as Kaopectate, Pepto Bismol, and Immodium AD are all proven to be effective in helping with diarrhea.
- Avoid Certain Foods: When you have diarrhea, you should avoid certain foods such as dairy products, high-fiber, and greasy foods. Stick to foods that are easy on the stomach and will help to soothe your small intestine such as soda crackers, cooked carrots, potatoes, toast, rice, soup, and gelatin.