Background on Leaky Gut Syndrome: Leaky gut syndrome is a condition that affects the lining of the small intestine. Also called intestinal permeability, this occurs when the intestinal lining becomes irritated and inflamed, which causes bacteria, toxins, undigested food and waste to leak out of the intestine into the bloodstream. This leakage triggers an autoimmune reaction and can cause abdominal bloating, gas, diarrhea, food sensitivity, anxiety, mood disorders, and skin problems. The cause of leaky gut syndrome is not well known but may include chronic inflammation, food sensitivity, overuse of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen, radiation, antibiotics and consuming large amounts of alcohol. Many people who have leaky gut syndrome also suffer from Crohn’s or Celiac’s Disease.
Five Natural Remedies for Leaky Gut Syndrome:
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet and plenty of fiber. This diet consists of mostly fresh food and an abundance of fruit and vegetables. Avoid processed foods and eat plenty of essential fatty acids from fish or take a fish oil supplement.
- Take a probiotic every day. Probiotics increase the amount of helpful bacteria in your gut, which can ease the symptoms of leaky gut.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and NSAIDs because they are known irritants to the stomach and intestine.
- Try taking a glutamine supplement. Glutamine is an amino acid that strengthens the lining of the small intestine and can improve intestinal metabolism and function.
- Minimize stress through exercise, meditation, etc.